(Hallock family staple)
- 2 ½ cups tomato juice or pulp
- 1 small onion chopped very fine
- 1 ¼ teaspoon ssalt
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons gelatin
- ½ cup coldwater
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- Celery optional
- Cook gently for 10 minutes:
- tomato, onion, salt and sugar
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water.
- Add dissolved gelatin to hot mixture.
- Stir thoroughly and add lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add finely chopped celery or celery seed if desired.
Note: Campbell’s recommends using 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin for each 3 cups of tomato juice;also their recipe includes 2 tablespoons vinegar for that amount of liquid but omits the lemon juice.