Woods Hole Mushrooms
aka Fresh Mushrooms with Sherry
- 2 pounds whole fresh mushrooms small to medium-size caps are best
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons top-shelf fino dry sherry
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Wipe the mushrooms clean. Usually, it is recommended that you do not wash mushrooms, but I do rinse these very quickly and dry immediately, then set aside on paper towels. It’s your choice. Trim stem ends if necessary.
- Sauté over medium heat in the butter for 5 minutes, stirring often, mushrooms should release some of their juice..
- Season sparingly with salt and freshly ground pepper., white if you have it.
- Add sherry, and let the mushrooms cook over low heat for about fifteen minutes, until the mushrooms have given off most of their juices and absorbed the sherry.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.
an old favorite, Woods Hole Mushrooms, a recipe I learned from a friend at Woods Hole the first summer Peter and I were married, during our post-wedding, pre-honeymoon sojourn at Woods Hole. Yield: Serves 4 to 6. To see another mushroom side dish, double-click here on Fresh Mushrooms in Lemon Sauce.