TOOTIE’S APPLESAUCE CAKE
- ½ cup shortening Crisco or butter/margarine, 2 sticks, softened, your choice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups thick unsweetened applesauce*
- 2 ½ cups sifted Gold Medal flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon each of cinnamon cloves, and allspice
- 1 cup chopped raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons soda**
- ½ cup boiling water
- SPECIAL DIRECTIONS:
- *Blend applesauce after egg.
- **Dissolve soda in boiling water and add alternately with the dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Use angel-cake pan, recommended, or two, deep, 8-nch-round cake pans. Grease pan(s) well and put waxed paper on bottom.
- Measure flour, then mix with salt and spices.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat shortening or softened butter, then slowly add sugar; blending well.
- Add egg; beat. Blend in applesauce after egg.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Slowly add to shortening-sugar-applesauce mixture, alternating between liquid and flour-spice mixture.
- Bake at 325° F. for 1 hour 20 minutes (angel-cake pan) and approximately 1 hour 10 minutes for 8-inch round cake pans.
- When cool, frost with your favorite white icing, for example a basic buttercream or acream-cheese frosting, see recipe below.
- BASIC CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons soft, sweet butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 2 ½ cupsconfectioners’ sugar
- Combine ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy.
( In September 1966, Peter’s mother, Nancy, arrived to help celebrate his 23rd birthday carrying this cake. She had flown into Baltimore from Hartford , not just driven across town. This cake travels well!. Tootie was Nancy’s housekeeper and the source of many Klock-family-favorite recipes.) This recipe has been been kitchen tested.