PINA COLADA CHEESECAKE
COCONUT CRUST INGREDIENTS:
1 ½ cups vanilla-wafer crumbs
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
⅓ cup butter, melted
To make crust: Combine ingredients. Mix well. Press mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of an 8- or 9-inch springform pan. Chill.
3 eggs, separated
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin (2 tablespoons total)
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup dark Jamaican rum
1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice
¼ teaspoon coconut extract
3 eggs, separated
To make filling:
1. Mix gelatin and ½ cup sugar in saucepan. Add pineapple juice. Let stand until gelatin has softened. Place over low heat; stir until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks well. Gradually beat hot gelatin mixture into egg yolks. Let cool.
2. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add to gelatin mixture; beat until well blended. Stir in rum and coconut extract. Refrigerate gelatin mixture to chill. Stir frequently as mixture thickens.
3. When gelatin mixture is of consistency of unbeaten egg whites, remove from refrigerator. In large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. While beating, add remaining ¼ cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until whites hold stiff peaks. Fold egg whites into gelatin mixture. Turn into prepared crust.
4. Refrigerate for 6 hours or as long as overnight.
PINEAPPLE TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
2 (8-oz.) cans crushed pineapple in syrup
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
TO MAKE TOPPING:
1. Combine ingredients in saucepan. Stir until cornstarch dissolves. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sauce boils and thickens slightly.
2. Chill. Spoon sauce over top of cheesecake.
Yield: Serves 10.
If you like the idea of a pineapple topping on your cheesecake but are looking for a more traditional, plain cheesecake to use under the topping, double click here on the recipe for “Nabisco” Cheesecake ’90.
You can find this and related recipes by tapping here on the Home Cookin’ index.
Copyright © 1999-2005 S.H. Klock/ The Recipe Reader / at Home Cookin’.