Poppy’s Low-Cholesterol Cherry Dessert
- 2 egg whites beaten
- 1 ½ cup fresh pitted tart cherries divided
- 1 ½ cup sugar divided
- ½ cup chopped walnut or pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- red food coloring
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. Add ¾ cup sugar, vanilla, salt and baking powder, beat until smooth and fluffy. Add flour and blend well. Stir in 1 cup tart cherries and chopped nuts. Pour into a greased 8-inch pie pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350° F. oven for 30 minutes.
- In medium saucepan combine 1 cup water, remaining ½ cup pitted cherries, remaining ¾ cup sugar and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Add coloring, if desired; keep sauce warm.
- Cut cake into wedges. Top each wedge with warm cherry sauce. Garnish with whipped cream, crème fraîche, or frozen vanilla yogurt, if desired.
(Poppy’s adaptation of a recipe attributed to Grandma Orbaker of Orbaker Fruit Farm, a distributor of tart red cherries, located in Williamson, New York.) Any questions about this dessert, which Poppy has made many times in various pans, double click here on Poppy.