John Wayne’s Cheese Casserole
- 2 cans 4-oz. size green chilies, chopped
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese coarsely grated
- 1 pound Cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- 4 eggs separated
- 2/3 cup canned evaporated milk undiluted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- In large bowl, combine grated cheese and chilies. Turn into a well-buttered, shallow quartcasserole or Pyrex dish (12″x8″x2″).
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Combine egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and pepper. Mix until well blended.
- Gently fold beaten whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese mixture in casserole, and, using a fork, “ooze” itthrough the cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes; remove from oven and arrange sliced tomatoes, overlapping, around edge ofcasserole.
- Bake 30 minutes longer, or until a silver knife inserted in center comes out clean.Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped chilies, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings A longtime family favorite, neighbors and close friends, Bill & Dougie McKereghan, made this for usoriginally when we lived in Baltimore. You’d have to have seen Bill”ooze” the egg mixture through the cheese to understand how descriptive thatword is. Needless to say, none of us knew exactly what the word meant, but if a realman like John Wayne could do it, we certainly could too. This recipe has been kitchen tested.