Frisée Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette & Poached Egg
- oz. smoked bacon diced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 4 medium heads of frisée lettuce cored, washed and dried
- 1 cup of croutons
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Render the bacon over low heat in a heavy-bottomed pot until brown & crispy.
- Strain the bacon, reserving the fat.
- To make the vinaigrette – Deglaze the pot with the red wine vinegar – scraping up the browned bits from the bottom.
- Remove from heat – whisk in the mustard and shallots, add some of the reserved bacon fat, and tomatoes – season with sea salt & pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring approx. two quarts of water and the white wine vinegar to a simmer.
- Crack eggs carefully into the water and poach until the whites appear firm.
- While the eggs are poaching, heat the dressing in the pot and add the frisée lettuce & croutons tossing until the lettuce is warm and slightly wilted.
- Mound warm vinaigrette tossed frisée on plates and top with a poached egg – sprinkle the egg with salt & pepper and serve immediately.
Yield: Serves 4.