Elin Lawrence’s Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
- 3 15½- ounce canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup drained canned tomatoes chopped
- 1 ¼ cups chopped onion
- ½ cup minced shallot or onions
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ stick ¼ c. unsalted butter
- 4 cups beef broth or vegetable broth- I used beef broth
- 1 16- ounce can pumpkin
- Garnish: sour cream toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds- optional
- In a processor, coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.
- In a large heavy pot cook onion, shallot, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in butter over med. heat, stirring until onion is softened and begins to brown.
- Stir in bean puree.
- Stir in broth & pumpkin. Simmer, uncovered stirring occasionally about 25 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve soup garnished with a dollop of sour cream and pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Yield: 9 cups — good news: this can be as easy as using all canned ingredients, or, if you prefer, prepare your own beans, tomatoes, broth and pumpkin well in advance, making it even more “homemade.” Elin comments: I serve this in the afternoon of Thanksgiving as an hors d’oeuvre in mugs or hot cups. Always a hit! Can be made a few days prior and reheated slowly. Click here for directions — how to cook pumpkin for soup, pie, etc.