Chickenand Rice Casserole
1 (10 ½ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 ⅓ cups water
1 cup long-grain or converted rice
1 teaspoon dill, tarragon or rosemary, divided
¼ teaspoonfreshly ground black pepper
1 (3-pound) package skinless chicken pieces
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup crushedmulti-grain crackers*
1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine undiluted soup, water, rice, ½ teaspoon of herbs of choice, alternatively, use Italian seasoning or a bouquet garni, and the black pepper in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; mix well.
- If chicken pieces have skin, remove it and discard skin.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top of rice mixture. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; remove from heat. Add crushed crackers, paprika and remaining ½ teaspoon seasoning of choice to butter in saucepan; stir until cracker mixture is well blended.
- Sprinkle cracker mixture on top of the chicken pieces in casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, until chicken is tender and rice is cooked, about 5 to 10 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.
*Substitute seasoned bread crumbs or croutons forthe crackers if your cupboard is nearly bare.
You can find the above recipe(s) by tapping here on the Home Cookin’ index.
Copyright © 1999-2005 S.H. Klock/ The Recipe Reader / at Home Cookin’.