Aunt Kay’s COFFEE CAKE
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- milk see measure below *
- Light brown sugar
- chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Sift dry ingredients. Make hole in center.
- *Put egg in a one-cup measuring cup and fill it with milk and melted butter. * Add to dry ingredients.
- Put in layer-cake pan or 8″x8″ square pan. (You can double recipe and bake in a 13 by 9-inch pan. The only way my mother ever made it.)
- Sprinkle generously with brown sugar and chopped walnuts.
- Bake at 350° F. until done — approximately 45 minutes.
- Serve directly from pan.
Easy and tasty. The following is a quick, great brunch contribution: Serve warm if possible.