California Shish Kabob
Nancy made the cooking section of the local newspaper (Manchester Herald) twice, once for this recipe, another time for her huge, huge-lobsterbakes. Enjoy.
- 1 leg of lamb cut into cubes
- Bacon 1 pound makes 40 pieces, precooked slightly
- Small white onions peeled
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green pepper cut into quarters or sixths, depending on pepper’s size
- Fresh mushrooms large enough to skewer without cracking
- 1 ½ cup salad oil
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
Marinade lamb cubes in sauce, see recipe below, for at least four hours. Draincubes, reserving marinade. When drained from cubes, marinade may be frozen awhile forreuse.
Precook bacon slightly, leaving it limp enough to wrap around the cubes of meat. Wrap bacon around lamb and alternate on skewers with other ingredients. Start and end withlamb cubes.
Barbecue to your taste.
(Amounts listed below yield about 3 ½ cups marinade.)
Click here to see a photo of Nancy building a shish kabob.
This recipe has been kitchen tested.