WELSH RABBIT (adapted from GREAT DINNERS FROM LIFE)
2 tablespoons butter
6 cups (1 ½ pounds) grated cheddar cheese
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup beer
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon salt
3 drops Tabasco sauce
6 slices hot toast (or warmed rusks)
1) Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler or chafing dish over simmering water.
2) Stir in the cheese and cook over low heat until it is completely melted. Stir until smooth.
3) Stir the egg yolks into the beer with a fork. Add this mixture to the cheese very slowly -- a spoonful or so at a time, stirring with a whisk as it cooks in.
4) Add mustard, Worcestershire, salt and Tabasco. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture is thickened.
5) Taste, and add more seasoning if desired. Serve on hot toast or rusks warmed in the oven.
You can find the above and related recipes by tapping here on the Home Cookin' index.
Please tell us what you think! Back Home
Copyright © 1999-2009 S.H. Klock/ The Recipe
Reader / at Home Cookin'.